Thursday, January 12, 2012

Lesson 1: Never Tweeze Your Eyebrows After Three Cups of Coffee

Well, I have done it again.  Created yet another blog that no one will read and I will probably ditch after several postings.  Doesn't matter, as I have had the blogging bug lately and a little non-school writing may do me a world of good.  Normally, I would say creative writing, but I am not all together certain how creative I will be.

So, let me introduce meself - Name is Andrea, work at a technology company, I am in touch with my inner geek, but I prefer my inner baker at this point in time.  I'm married and am owned by 1 cat.  (Not the one in the picture - she passed some time ago.)  I am currently involved in earning my Masters in Information Systems.  I just finished going through two Element K tutorials on Data Communications (in regards to networking and yadda yadda yadda) and am at the point that I want to stab my eyes out.  The information itself is fairly interesting, but the narrator - God, why could they not have picked some sexy voiced gentleman with a British (or Irish or Scottish or Australian) accent?  This guy sounds like the uncool teacher you had in high school which everyone dreaded.  (And yes, I realize grammar is not my strong suite - pppfffttt - whatever.  Heck, at this point, just be glad I am not posting something in text speak.)

Anyway - today's Public Service Announcement:

If you are a Nutella Junkie like me (and I know many of you are) and you have been scouring the web like I have for delicious new nutella tasty treats, may I steer you away from making these:

Nutella Self Frosting Cupcakes

Now, I am not saying that they are bad, nor am I saying that the lovely lady who posted those tempting instructions doesn't know what she is talking about.  Considering she has been around the web a lot longer and far more consistently and appears to be a very reputable site, I know she knows what she is talking about.  I am not trying to besmirch her baking character.  However, I made them twice - yes, twice, and I am still not impressed.  Now, in fairness, the first time I made them, I screwed up.  I measured the flour, then sifted.  One is supposed to sift, then measure.  Most things I bake don't require sifting or sometimes I laugh at the concept. Ha! Sift? I'm a sifting non-conformist! I'm a baking rebel!  Which, in this case, forced me to choke down a very dry dense rock like muffin - totally my fault.

So, last night I tried again.  I followed the directions precisely and found pretty much the same result.  The muffins (because honestly, these weren't cupcake consistency) were much more moist then the first batch, but the vanilla part still is lacking any AHA! flavor. And trying to stir the nutella into the cake - what a nightmare!  The cupcake cups were crinkling and wrinkling - it was a total mess. That was totally not my fault.  Although it did give me the excuse to start licking nutella off my fingers once I was done. I think that if I try making a "self frosting nutella cupcake" again, I will actually try and make yellow cake batter... or oooohhh.... maybe a white cake batter. Maybe if I find a combination I like better, I will post pictures.

That being said, if you want a nutella baked treat that requires little time (and no frustration) - let me point you in this direction.

Oh my oooohy gooey goodness. I won't mention how many times I have burned the roof of my mouth on these things - it's just embarrassing.


2 comments:

  1. From my trial-and-error barely used kitchen ... try Bisquick flour and try not to over beat the butter and the sugar ... there ... my two cents :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you still add the baking powder to it?

    ReplyDelete